A Brill-23 tram hauling trailer 9 arrives at Praça da Batalha. The tram came as line 14/ from VN de Gaia and will continue as line 9// to Ermesinde.
A Brill-28 tram on line 17 arrived from Foz on Praça da Batalha.
This was the depot of the Companhia Carril Americano do Porto á Foz e Matosinhos. Tram 2 with two trailers is approaching. At the left another tram with three freight trailers.
This photo of around 1950 is taken in the northern part of Rua Brito Capelo. The street has now the typical layput of tram tracks at the sides next to the pavements and cars parking in the middle. A Belga tram is heading north. Remarkable are the many bicycles parked at the curb. They were kept standing by putting the right pedal down on the curb.
A Brill tram with bogie trailer 6 leaves the passing loop in the northern part of Rua Brito Capelo. This part of Rua Brito Capelo had single track until 1930.
A Brill tram with a bogie trailer heading north. This part of Rua Brito Capelo has already double track. The tram has no fenders, so the photo was not made later as 1926. In the background at the right is another Brill-tram + trailer combination in the curve between Rua Godinho and Rua Thomaz Ribeiro.
A Brill tram on Passeio Alegre. The tram has already fenders, which means the photo was not taken before 1926. The rule of way is still left, which means the photo is taken before 1 june 1928.
Tram 201 on Avenida do Brasil. This is one of the 7-window A Constructora of 1907. The tram already got closed platforms and has the resistances on the platform roofs, which proves it had new electric equipments. The tram does not have fenders. This tram lost its number in the second half of 1926 to a bogie tram. The new number however is unknown.
Fumista 299 is almost at the bottom of Rua dos Clerigos. This tram was renumbered by the STCP to 315 and now part of the museum collection.
Brill-32 tram 253 is almost at the top of Rua dos Clerigos. The name of the street in the background, Rua de Santo António, shows that the postcard was produced in or after 1940. Between 1910 and 1940 this street was called Rua 31 de Janeiro, a name it has now again. The postcard was used in 1948.
Busy trafic with many trams. The rule of way is still left but the trams have already fenders. This places the photo before 1 june 1928 but not before 1926.
This is a rather grainy picture of Rua dos Clerigos with a Brill tram. The photo is likely taken in the early 1920’s as the tram has not yet fenders.
A Brill tram of the 1909 order passes the university building. The rule of the way is still left, which places the photo before 1 june 1928. The tram has fenders, which proves the photo was not taken before 1926.
This postcard shows the name Praça Parada Leitão, which in fact is around the corner at the left. On the photo is Praça da Universidade, until 1835 known as Largo do Carmo and later as Praça dos Voluntários da Rainha. Since 1936 it has the official name Praça de Gomes Teixeira, but it’s unofficially also known as Praça dos Leões. Most often this place is called Carmo.
The University building is at the left. In the background is the Hôspital de Santo António and at the right the Carmo and Carmelitas churches. The Carmo church is just passed by one of the three A Constructora trams build in 1907. It has still open platforms and a second trolley-pole for working across the Ponte Luís I to VN de Gaia.
Busy tram traffic in front of the Igreja de Santo Ildefonso. The rule of the way is right, which places the photo after 1 june 1928. Tram 249 working on line 14 is on the way to Devezas. I’s followed by tram 239 working on line 17, which has almost reached its terminus. Tram 249 is of the Brill-23 type and has a second trolley-pole for crossing the Ponte Luís I. Tram 239 is of the Brill-28 type, in this case made by widening a Brill tram of the 1909 order. Number and exact type of the third tram cannot be determined, but it looks like a Brill-23 of the 1910 or maybe 1912 order.
An UEC build tram is standing on the terminus track of line 17, It has the number 133, which means the photo was not taken before 1924. As it has no fenders the photo was not taken after 1926. The tram has still the original platforms but already the resistances on the platform roofs. Likely this was one of trams which got new Siemens D58 motors around 1923.
Partly hidden behind a tree is a 6-window tram build by A Constructora.
The original building inaugurated in 1798 was destroyed by fire in 1908. This is the new building on the same location inaugurated in 1920. The postcard was used in 1931. Next to the theatre is a tram coming from VN de Gaia. It is a former mule tram electrified around the turn of the century.
The orphanage on Avenida Rodrigues Freitas around 1910. The postcard was used in 1912. In the background a tram of the route to Campanhã.
The period this photo was taken is hard to estimate. At the left is the huge Alfândega (customs) building.
A Brill tram next to the Castelo da Leça. The tram has the number 223 and fenders, which proves the photo is not taken before 1926. As the figures are white, the tram must still be green and the photo was not taken later as 1933. The light-box for the destination stencils are still failing and the line number is still of the old circular type. It shows the number 1. Since 1928 on this line bogie trams were used. The crew is busy to reverse direction.