Sintra trams

Sintra tram no.1 at Colares, 7 May 2013.

History

In 1904 an 11.7 km long metre gauge electric tramline was opened from Sintra (station) to Praia das Maças (Applebeach). An 1.0 km long urban line connected the station in Sintra-Estefânia with Sintra-Vila. Some freight transport existed, mainly between Banzão and the railway station. In the small Banzão depot is still a weigh bridge and the only track of the depot gives also access to the warehouse of a winery. At the railway station was a siding to make transfer of goods easy.

In 1930 the line was extended by 1.9 km from Praia das Maças to Azenhas do Mar bringing the total length of the system on 14.6 km. This last extension was closed again in 1954, the urban line was closed in 1958. From 1953 until 1974 the service was limited to Summer only. During the period 1975 to 2003 no service at all or only a very limited service on part of the line existed. Since the Summer of 2004 the line is almost reinstalled complete again between Sintra-Estefánia and Praia das Maças, except for the about 600 m long section through the town of Sintra until the railway station.

The time-table of the tram service is published on the site of the Câmara Municipal of Sintra.

Sintra station around 1910. In front of the station building are a closed and an open motor tramcar.

The line

Along the line are indications of distances. The current 0 km point is at Praia das Maças. With the description of the line these distances are used and that means the old Azenhas do Mar terminus gets its distance indicated as negative. The line is and was over its whole length single track with passing loops. Most was on reserved space or at the road side.

  • – 1.9 km Azenhas do Mar – terminus with two stub tracks near the Largo Chitas. The part in Praia das Maças of the route to Azenhas was street track. Opened 1930, closed 1954.
  • 0.0 km Praia das Maças – current terminus with passing loop and two stub tracks.
  • 1.5 km Pinhal de Nazaré – passing loop.
  • 3.0 km Banzão – former freight station, now small depot and sub-station. Passing loop with connected a stub track into the building and beyond into the adjacent building of the winery. A second stub track with a small turn-table was removed.
  • 3.9 km Colares – small station building that in recent years was converted to a large shelter. Passing loop removed.
  • 5.1 km Nora – passing loop removed.
  • 6.4 km Galamares – passing loop with a shelter. This location is a bit outside the village of Galamres.
  • 7.0 km Galameres, Rua das Flores – no special tram infrastructure, but central in the small village.
  • 7.9 km Ponte Redonda – passing loop removed. Named after the adjacent bridge. This was originally a narrow stone bridge with street track for the tram. Now it’s a wide bridge with the tram track on reserved space in the centre.
  • 8.8 km Ribeira – passing loop originally as street track because the road was here very narrow. With the construction of a wide road inside the curve, the passing loop is now on reserved space. There was a stub track into the former power plant.
  • 9.0 km Ribeira – line to the depot.
  • 10.1 km Monte Santos – passing loop with shelter. The current shelter is new, the old one was of the same type as the one in Galamares.
  • 11.0 km Sintra Estefânia – current terminus as single stub track. There is and was never a passing loop. From here the line was street track. The section until the station was used for the last time in 1974 and later lifted.
  • 11.7 km Sintra Estação – layout several times changed, but details are unknown. There was a side track to the goods shed at the back side of the station. Originally this track crossed the railway just outside the tunnel together with a road crossing that existed there at the time. Later the side line connection was moved to the top end of the railway station. Passing loop in front of the secondary station building “Grande Velocidade”.
  • 12.7 km Sintra Vila – Old terminus, one stub track with a passing loop next to the Torre do Relógio. The section from the station to Vila was closed in 1958.

Map of the Sintra tramline

Rolling stock

Original there were three closed and four open cross-bench cars plus two closed and four open cross-bench trailers. All this rolling stock came from Brill of Philadelphia.

Brill works photo of an open motorcar, still without electric equipment, and an open trailer.

Brill works photo of a closed motorcar, still without electric equipment.

Brill works photo of the interior of a closed tramcar.

The original colours of the trams are not known, likely they were yellow. In the 1950’s the trams were yellow, in 1958 they became blue and in 1963 red. The original numbers of the trams are not know either. In the 1930’s the open motor cars had the numbers 1, 3, 5 & 7, the closed motor cars had the numbers 2, 6 & 8, the closed trailers the numbers 4 & 10 and the open trailers the numbers 9, 11, 12 & 13.

During the years reconstructions took place. Three new domed-roof bodies similar to the Lisbon “Standard” cars were constructed. Together with truck changes and renumbering this resulted in the following fleet:

  1. Brill made open motor car with eight cross-benches seating 32. This tram is painted blue again.
  2. Local made closed domed-roof motor car with seating for 24. Entered service in 1945. The truck came from the old closed Brill motorcar no.2 of which the body was scrapped.
  3. Brill made closed motor car with transverse seats for 17. This was before closed motorcar no.8.
  4. Local made closed domed-roof motor car with seating for 24. Entered service in 1946. The truck came from the old closed Brill motorcar no.6 of which the body was stored.
  5. Local made closed domed-roof motor car with seating for 24. Entered service in 1948. The truck came from the old open motorcar no.5, of which the body was used for trailer no.14.
  6. Brill made open motor car with eight cross-benches seating 32. This was before open motorcar no.3.
  7. Brill made open motor car with eight cross-benches seating 32. This tram is painted yellow again.
  8. Brill made closed trailer with longitudinal seats for 20. Before this trailer had the no.4.
  9. Brill made open trailer with eight cross-benches seating 32.
  10. Brill made closed trailer with transverse seats for 17.
  11. Brill made open trailer with eight cross-benches seating 32.
  12. Brill made open trailer with eight cross-benches seating 32.
  13. Brill made open trailer with eight cross-benches seating 32.
  14. Brill made open trailer with eight cross-benches seating 32. The body belonged to one of the original motor cars.
  • Brill made closed body without truck. The body belonged to one of the original motor cars. It’s in storage since 1946.
  • Overhead wire repair car.
  • One closed freight car.
  • One small open freight car.
  • Two large open freight cars.
  • One flat car.
  • Two lorries. 
  • Diesel locomotive.
  • Tram acquired from Lisbon (ex CCFL no.709) and prepared for service in Sintra, which got the number 100.

In 2006 the Ribeira depot was rebuilt. Except for the fleet of Sintra, two more former Lisbon cars are stored there. One is 703, the other the 615 owned by a tram enthusiast. Also two former Coimbra trucks came to Sintra.

Sintra tram no.2 has just left the terminus of Praia das Maças, 15 September 2018.

Sintra tram no.3 at Banzão, 8 July 2006.

Sintra tram no.7 on the Ponte de Redonda, 9 October 2013.

Sintra trailer no.9 inside the Ribeira depot, 7 May 2013.

Sintra trailer no.10 inside the Ribeira depot, 4 August 2007.

Sintra 3 Largo Afonso de Albuquerque

Open trailer no.12 and closed motorcar no.5 depart from the station to Praia das Maças. At the right closed motorcar no.3.

Old Ribeira depot with open motorcar no.1, open trailer no.14, closed trailer no.10 and one of the Lisboa type closed trams.

New Ribeira depot with closed tram no.4, the open trams nos 1 and 6 with behind no.1 just visible the yellow open tram no 7. At the right one of the open freighr wagons and behind it the overhead repair car. The people are a group of enthusiasts visiting the depot after they made a rental trip on the line. 4 September 2012.

Sources

  • Júlio Cardoso & Valdemar Alves: “Eléctricos de Sintra, um percurso centenário”, published by the Câmara Municipal de Sintra in June 2004.
  • Paulo Caldeira Martins: “Eléctricos de Sintra”, ISBN 972/700/095/9 published August 1997.
  • B.R. King and J.H. Price: “The Tramways of Portugal”, published by the LRTA, several editions.

Photos

  • Brill works photos: collection of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania (USA)
  • Postcard railway station, photo in front of the station and old Ribeira depot: collection Ernst Kers
  • All other photos: Ernst Kers

More photos of the Sintra tram on Flickr.
Old pages about Portuguese trams.

Praça around 1945

Praça da Liberdade

Praça da Liberdade

Looking over Praça da Liberdade in northern direction with the Avenida dos Aliados and the town-hall now looking almost finished, although it was only in 1957 after a construction period of 37 years when it was ready for use.
The trams are still yellow. A zorra with coal is just coming out of Rua de Sampoio Bruno.

Praça around 1933

Praça da Liberdade

Praça da Liberdade

At the bottom-right is a still green tram (white fleet numbers), but the tram at the left must be yellow already. The two trams at the north side of Praça are both build by the local company A Constructora. The first dates from the period 1901-1903, the second from the period 1904-1906.

Praça around 1933

Praça da Liberdade

Praça da Liberdade

Praça da Liberdade with Avenida dos Aliados and the town-hall under construction. Tram 151 in the foreground is still green. The other three trams are already yellow. The first is one of six build during the period 1901-1903 by the local company A Constructora. The other two were ordered from Brill in 1909.

Praça around 1933

Praça da Liberdade

Praça da Liberdade

Taken from the south in northern direction we see Praça da Liberdade and Avenida dos Aliados with the town-hall under construction and behind it the tower of Trindade. Tram 108 at the right is build during in the period 1904-1906 by the local company A Constructora. The next two trams were ordered from Brill in 1910 or 1912 and 1909. These three trams are still green. The last tram is already yellow and of the type build in 1929 or 1930 by the local workshops.

Praça around 1933

Praça da Liberdade

Praça da Liberdade

Taken from the east side of Praça da Liberdade we see the north part of it with two trams. The one in front is likely 235, a tram ordered from Brill in 1910 or 1912. The fleet numbers are white, which means the tram is still green. The tram nearest to the camera is 284, build in 1928 by the local workshops. Although its basically of the same design, it’s longer and wider resulting in a larger capacity. The fleet numbers of this tram are black, which means it is already painted yellow. The colour change of the trams happened in 1933 and this indicates the year the photo was taken.

Praça around 1933

Praça da Liberdade

Praça da Liberdade

Taken from the south-eastern corner of Praça we see the north part and Avenida dos Aliados. With the old ortho-chromatic photo emulsions the colour yellow shows as dark on photos, which makes it difficult to distinguish it from green. However with the colour change of the trams in 1933 from green to yellow, the fleet numbers were changed from white to black. The tram in the distance is already yellow, but the one in the front is still green. This tram with the number 305 was build in 1929 by the local workshops.

Praça around 1932

Praça da Liberdade

Praça da Liberdade

This photo is taken from the western side of Praça da Liberdade in north-eastern direction. It shows the north part of Praça and Avenida dos Aliados. The layout of Praça da Liberdade is already changed, but the tram is still green, which places the photo in the period 1930-1933. The tram is one of the series ordered in 1910 or 1912 from Brill. A freight tram (zorra) is coming out of Rua de Sampoio Bruno. Likely its loaded with coal and on the way from the mine in São Pedro da Cova to the power plant in Massarelos.

Praça around 1932

Praça da Liberdade

Praça da Liberdade

This postcard shows Praça da Liberdade and Avenida dos Aliados with the town-hall under construction. At the bottom-right is tram 108, build during the years 1904-1906 by the local company A Constructora. The tram is still green, but the photo is taken after the reconstruction of Praça, which places it in the period 1930-1933.

Praça around 1929

Praça da Liberdade

Praça da Liberdade

Looking in northern direction we see Praça da Liberdade with the layout of before the 1930 reconstruction and Avenida da Liberdade with the town-hall under construction and the Trindade church behind it. Traffic is right-hand and this places the photo after 1 june 1928. The tram at the left is of the Brill-32 type, constructed by the local workshops during the years 1926-1928. It’s followed by a tram build by the local company A Constructora during the years 1904-1906. The type of the third tram cannot be determined clearly, but it’s likely one of the six trams build by A Constuctora during the years 1901-1903.

Praça around 1929

Praça da Liberdade

Praça da Liberdade

On this postcard we see the south side of Praça da Liberdade with the Palácio das Cardosas. In the background are the Rua, Igreja and Torre dos Clerigos. Traffic is right-hand but the track lay-out is still from before the 1930 reconstruction. This places the photo in the period 1 june 1928 until some time in 1930.

Praça around 1926

Praça da Liberdade

Praça da Liberdade

Looking from the south to the north we see on this postcard Praça da Liberdade and the new Avenida dos Aliados. In the background is the new town-hall under construction, something that would last for several decades. One of the trams has fenders, but the other two not, which makes it likely the photo was taken in 1926, the year fenders were installed on the trams.

Praça around 1920

Praça da Liberdade

Praça da Liberdade

This photo is taken at from the south-east corner of Praça da Liberdade in northern direction. The area at the north side is complete demolished to make the construction of the Avenida dos Aliados and the new town-hall possible. Construction of the first is still in progress. We see two trams ordered from Brill, the one at the right is 288.

Praça around 1915

Praça da Liberdade

Praça da Liberdade

This postcard shows a Brill tram of the series ordered in 1909. The text on the card was written on 12 may 1919. At the right is the Palácio das Cardosas, at the left the Igreja dos Congrelados. In the background are the Rua 31 de Janeiro and the Rua da Madeira with visible a small piece of the side of the Estação de São Bento.

Praça around 1912

Praça da Liberdade

Praça da Liberdade

Tram 205 is one of a series of five ordered in 1909 from UEC in the UK. The tram has the line number 1, which proves that the photo was not taken before 1 january 1912. In 1913 the trams of this series were renumbered from 202-206 into 296-300, which proves that this photo was not taken later as 1913.