Likely it had just rained when this photo was made of Praça da Liberdade and the Avenida dos Aliados.
Looking over Praça da Liberdade and Avenida dos Aliados with the town-hall in the background.
Looking over Praça da Liberdade and Avenida dos Aliados. The trams are now in the STCP colours.
Looking over Praça da Liberdade in northern direction with the Avenida dos Aliados and the town-hall now looking almost finished, although it was only in 1957 after a construction period of 37 years when it was ready for use.
The trams are still yellow. A zorra with coal is just coming out of Rua de Sampoio Bruno.
At the bottom-right is a still green tram (white fleet numbers), but the tram at the left must be yellow already. The two trams at the north side of Praça are both build by the local company A Constructora. The first dates from the period 1901-1903, the second from the period 1904-1906.
Praça da Liberdade with Avenida dos Aliados and the town-hall under construction. Tram 151 in the foreground is still green. The other three trams are already yellow. The first is one of six build during the period 1901-1903 by the local company A Constructora. The other two were ordered from Brill in 1909.
Taken from the south in northern direction we see Praça da Liberdade and Avenida dos Aliados with the town-hall under construction and behind it the tower of Trindade. Tram 108 at the right is build during in the period 1904-1906 by the local company A Constructora. The next two trams were ordered from Brill in 1910 or 1912 and 1909. These three trams are still green. The last tram is already yellow and of the type build in 1929 or 1930 by the local workshops.
Taken from the south-eastern corner of Praça we see the north part and Avenida dos Aliados. With the old ortho-chromatic photo emulsions the colour yellow shows as dark on photos, which makes it difficult to distinguish it from green. However with the colour change of the trams in 1933 from green to yellow, the fleet numbers were changed from white to black. The tram in the distance is already yellow, but the one in the front is still green. This tram with the number 305 was build in 1929 by the local workshops.
This photo is taken from the western side of Praça da Liberdade in north-eastern direction. It shows the north part of Praça and Avenida dos Aliados. The layout of Praça da Liberdade is already changed, but the tram is still green, which places the photo in the period 1930-1933. The tram is one of the series ordered in 1910 or 1912 from Brill. A freight tram (zorra) is coming out of Rua de Sampoio Bruno. Likely its loaded with coal and on the way from the mine in São Pedro da Cova to the power plant in Massarelos.
This postcard shows Praça da Liberdade and Avenida dos Aliados with the town-hall under construction. At the bottom-right is tram 108, build during the years 1904-1906 by the local company A Constructora. The tram is still green, but the photo is taken after the reconstruction of Praça, which places it in the period 1930-1933.
Looking in northern direction we see Praça da Liberdade with the layout of before the 1930 reconstruction and Avenida da Liberdade with the town-hall under construction and the Trindade church behind it. Traffic is right-hand and this places the photo after 1 june 1928. The tram at the left is of the Brill-32 type, constructed by the local workshops during the years 1926-1928. It’s followed by a tram build by the local company A Constructora during the years 1904-1906. The type of the third tram cannot be determined clearly, but it’s likely one of the six trams build by A Constuctora during the years 1901-1903.
On this postcard we see the south side of Praça da Liberdade with the Palácio das Cardosas. In the background are the Rua, Igreja and Torre dos Clerigos. Traffic is right-hand but the track lay-out is still from before the 1930 reconstruction. This places the photo in the period 1 june 1928 until some time in 1930.
Looking from the south to the north we see on this postcard Praça da Liberdade and the new Avenida dos Aliados. In the background is the new town-hall under construction, something that would last for several decades. One of the trams has fenders, but the other two not, which makes it likely the photo was taken in 1926, the year fenders were installed on the trams.
This photo is taken at from the south-east corner of Praça da Liberdade in northern direction. The area at the north side is complete demolished to make the construction of the Avenida dos Aliados and the new town-hall possible. Construction of the first is still in progress. We see two trams ordered from Brill, the one at the right is 288.
On this postcard we see the east side of Praça da Liberdade. It shows Brill trams ordered in 1909 and 1910. At the right is the Palácio das Cardosas.
This postcard show a tram of the series ordered from Brill in 1912. At the left is the Palácio das Cardosas, behind the tram are the Rua, Igreja and Torre dos Clerigos.
Tram 205 is one of a series of five ordered in 1909 from UEC in the UK. The tram has the line number 1, which proves that the photo was not taken before 1 january 1912. In 1913 the trams of this series were renumbered from 202-206 into 296-300, which proves that this photo was not taken later as 1913.
Although the postcard itself says Praça da Liberdade, the photo was likely made before the 1910 revolution changing Portugal from a monarchy into a republic. All trams of the photo are of pre-1910 types. In the foreground is 124, a former mule tram. In the background are 123 and another, maybe 118. At the left is the Palácio das Cardosas, in the background the Rua dos Clerigos with the church and tower of that name.
On Praça are the trams 151, build in 1904 by the local company A Constructora, and 124, an electrified former mule tram. Behind these two trams are two other trams. At the right is one of the two open trams 141-142, likely 142, converted in 1904 by A Constructora from a mule tram to an electric tram.
At the left is the Palácio das Cardosas, at the right the Igeja dos Congrelados. In the background is the Rua dos Clerigos with the church and tower of that name.
This postcard shows tram 18 on Praça Dom Pedro IV and two other trams, the first likely 10, in Rua dos Clerigos.