On this postcard we see the south side of Praça da Liberdade with the Palácio das Cardosas. In the background are the Rua, Igreja and Torre dos Clerigos. Traffic is right-hand but the track lay-out is still from before the 1930 reconstruction. This places the photo in the period 1 june 1928 until some time in 1930.
Although the postcard itself says Praça da Liberdade, the photo was likely made before the 1910 revolution changing Portugal from a monarchy into a republic. All trams of the photo are of pre-1910 types. In the foreground is 124, a former mule tram. In the background are 123 and another, maybe 118. At the left is the Palácio das Cardosas, in the background the Rua dos Clerigos with the church and tower of that name.
On Praça are the trams 151, build in 1904 by the local company A Constructora, and 124, an electrified former mule tram. Behind these two trams are two other trams. At the right is one of the two open trams 141-142, likely 142, converted in 1904 by A Constructora from a mule tram to an electric tram.
At the left is the Palácio das Cardosas, at the right the Igeja dos Congrelados. In the background is the Rua dos Clerigos with the church and tower of that name.
This postcard shows tram 18 on Praça Dom Pedro IV and two other trams, the first likely 10, in Rua dos Clerigos.
Although the postcard says Praça da Liberdade, which means it was printed after 1910, the photo is from quit some years before. The tram at the left has the number 36. The fleet numbers of the trams were raised in 1907 by hundred. Photos showing a Porto electric tram with a number below 100 are not taken later as 1907. Tram 36 was in 1902 converted from a mule tram to an electric tram, which means 1903 is the earliest year this photo can be taken.
The number of the tram at the right is alas hidden by a lady with a basket on her head. This tram has a BSI truck and might be one of the three trams build new in 1898/9 by the workshops or a former mule tram / steam tram trailer converted to electric tram about the same period. At the left is the Palácio das Cardosas and in the background the Rua dos Clerigos with the church and tower of that name.
Fumista 299 is almost at the bottom of Rua dos Clerigos. This tram was renumbered by the STCP to 315 and now part of the museum collection.
Brill-32 tram 253 is almost at the top of Rua dos Clerigos. The name of the street in the background, Rua de Santo António, shows that the postcard was produced in or after 1940. Between 1910 and 1940 this street was called Rua 31 de Janeiro, a name it has now again. The postcard was used in 1948.
Busy trafic with many trams. The rule of way is still left but the trams have already fenders. This places the photo before 1 june 1928 but not before 1926.
This is a rather grainy picture of Rua dos Clerigos with a Brill tram. The photo is likely taken in the early 1920’s as the tram has not yet fenders.
Tram 120 is one of four new build in 1900/1901 by the local company A Constructora. The design however was of an existing mule tram type, of which a number were electrified. The number, above 100, proves that the photo was not made before 1907. As the tram does not have a route number, the photo is not made later as 1911.
In the background are the Igreja and Torre dos Clerigos. In the foreground is an ox-car, the contemporary mode of freight transport.
This colourized postcard shows one of the six trams with original five windows at each side build by A Constructora in the period 1901-1903 or the in 1898 by Schuckert & co. delivered tram.