The Bogie Trailers of the Porto Trams

The body of trailer 1 was, together with the small body which was used for CE 250, made in 1909 by A Constructora without having received a firm order. After some discussion the CCFP acquired both bodies, used the large one for trailer 1 and ordered from A Constructora six more bodies of this type together with type 23D bogies from Brill. The trailers 2-7 came into service in 1911/12.

Trailer no.6 behind a Brill built 4-wheel tram in Rua Brito Capelo, Matosinhos about 1915. The photo was taken almost from the northern end of Rua Brito Capelo looking southbound. (Postcard)

These trailers spent all of their lives working on line 1 between Infante and Leça da Palmeira, at first towed by 4-wheel cars, later behind the bogie cars. Their original open platforms were given windscreens around 1948. When line 1 was cut back from Leça to Matosinhos in 1960, these trailers went out of service except for some beach services during the Summer season in the first half of the 1960’s. They were all officially withdrawn from the fleet in 1966. No.1 is part of the museum collection.

Trailer CCFP no.6 towed by Brill built electric tram CCFP no.220 on Avenida do Brasil. The photo was made between April 1926 when fenders were mounted on 220 and June 1928 when the rule of the road changed from left to right. Detail of a postcard.
Two bogie trams with bogie trailers on Avenida de Montevideu about 1930. The right trailer is no.5. Detail of a postcard.
Trailer no.7 already with closed platforms behind 4-wheel Briil-28 no.199 at Castelo do Queijo, 1947.
Trailer no.1 is prepared to work a special service with Belga 288. Massarelos, 8 September 2014.
Museum trailer no.1 behind Belga no.288 on Rua do Monchique, 8 September 2014.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *